Tuesday, April 01, 2008

The Microphone of Pasts Future

This is number two in the new microphone department, and slightly more authentic in appearance then the Funnel Mic. I built this for a secret project that I alluded to in my last blog posting based on images I found online of microphones from around 1880 to 1920.

I used an old 510 microphone I bought years ago for about ten dollars. It had been sitting in a metal box in the spaceroom almost immediately after I purchased it so I really didn’t feel bad about ripping it out of its casing. The base of the microphone is from one of the many old useless brass instruments I also have laying around the spaceroom. So in a way I am clearing out the old junk and making new and wonderful junk in the process. Sometimes I find this to be a good exercise when the creative juices aren’t flowing as well as I would like. This goes for the strainer on the back of the microphone as well. For years I have been collecting old kitchen utensils and it hasn’t been until recently that I have discovered a use for them. The face plate was actually from an old busted microphone I took apart years ago to use the body for one of my Fauxbots. If only I knew then what I know now, but I guess it’s always better could regret something you have done, then something you haven’t …Feel free to fill in the next line. There is an output jack and an on/off switch that were salvaged from one of the many broken electronics that get sent my way. As far as the two metal rings that round the face of the microphone I have no idea where they came from, sometimes the spaceroom just gives me gifts.

Again, much like the Funnel Mic I have no idea if this will work in a live setting. Years ago I had the brilliant idea of getting rid of both my amps. I think it one of those I suck at music moments why do I want this stuff taking up space in the spaceroom. If somebody knows what I was thinking please let me know.

Over and out.

4 comments:

Mr. Bitterman said...

Iner,
You have an amazing imagination and creative bent. I wish I had time to discuss with you in Waterloo recently. Next time I'm cornering you.
BTW, in an earlier blog, you mention "my wife". Is there something you two aren't telling us!

Iner Souster said...

Ah...I'm not saying anything.

The time to corner me may be sooner then you think.

Dario-V- said...

hi Iner, i just stumbled by chance in your blog and boy...you're amazing !
wish you will make you way through the net.

Anonymous said...

Love the old spring microphone look. you're so creative!
Miss Alex P.